Daniel Ward is the Managing Partner of Ward & Berry. He is active in all areas of the firm’s practice.
Dan represents individuals, small businesses, non-profit organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and corporations in a wide variety of matters, including:
- Representing an NGO in a Defamation Lawsuit for statements made by the NGO in a report published about the flow of arms from Ukraine to various conflict zones. Ward & Ward filed a Special Motion to Dismiss all Defamation claims against its client under the D.C. Anti-SLAPP Act and, after 9 days of hearings and evidence, obtained dismissal, with prejudice, of all claims against its client.
- Conducting pre-publication reviews for media clients.
- Representing a Canadian merchant bank in a fraud and breach of contract action against a large multinational chemical company.
- Acting as outside general counsel to a number of small- and mid-sized companies, including a regional magazine publisher, a number of non-profit organizations, a startup technology company, and an apparel company.
- Litigating business tort claims in state and federal courts nationwide including claims for theft of trade secrets, fraud, conversion, and negligent misrepresentation.
- Litigating patent infringement actions on behalf of rights holders in federal courts nationwide. Through both litigation and negotiation, Dan has obtained millions of dollars in licensing revenues for his clients.
- Representing a grassroots community group in its successful effort to prevent the re-zoning and improper redevelopment of a section of Historic Annapolis.
- Representing a member of the intelligence community in his efforts to preserve his retirement and medical benefits after suffering lead poisoning he contracted in a combat zone in a Middle East Country.
In addition to his litigation practice, Dan provides legal and business advice and counseling on a variety of corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and formation, best practices, and executive compensation.
Dan also represents employees and employers in a variety of matters, including the litigation or mediation of age, race, gender and pregnancy discrimination disputes; the negotiation and drafting of employment contracts, restrictive covenants, and severance agreements; the enforcement and litigation of non-compete agreements; and advising employers on best employment practices.
Prior to joining the firm, Dan worked at Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, DC, where he focused on general civil litigation and intellectual property litigation.
Dan received his J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center and his B.A. from Georgetown University.
Dan is licensed to practice law in Maryland, the District of Columbia, Virginia, the United States District Courts for the Districts of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Eastern District of Virginia, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Dan is a member of the American Bar Association Section on Litigation; the American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law; and the Media Law Resource Center.
Dan lives outside of Annapolis, Maryland with his wife and their three boys. When he is not working, Dan enjoys sailing, crabbing, fishing, or doing just about anything on the Chesapeake Bay. Dan is a member of the Board of Directors of the Kevin E. Reichardt Foundation.