We are seasoned litigators and trial lawyers. Ward & Berry PLLC represents businesses and individuals in a wide variety of high-stakes disputes.
Our experience includes, but is not limited to, litigation involving business torts, theft of trade secrets, unfair competition, qui tam actions, defamation, franchisor/franchisee disputes, alien tort claims, negligence and wrongful death actions, real estate disputes, civil fraud and breach of contract actions.
Our attorneys regularly appear in state and federal courts throughout the Capital Region, and resolve many other client matters through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. Regardless of the matter, we fight tenaciously for our clients and focus on achieving the best possible result in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.
Representative engagements by Ward & Berry PLLC attorneys include:
- Counsel to multi-national mass media corporation in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania in a case related to client's acquisition of video content syndicator. Obtained favorable settlement of all claims following completion of briefing on summary judgment motion.
- Resolved contentious disputes among stakeholders in cyber risk management company short of litigation and thereby enabled the company's successful acquisition by leading global professional services firm.
- Counsel to an Afghan transportation provider in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Obtained $3M award after jury trial against U.S. prime contractor and rejection of all opposing claims totaling over $10M. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit upheld the verdict.
- Counsel to the CEO of a U.S. defense contractor on tort claims advanced by an Afghan subcontractor in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Successful defense strategy led to pre-trial dismissal of claims against the CEO.
- Counsel to a government contractor in bifurcated jury and bench trials in the Circuit Court for the County of Fairfax, Virginia, totaling over five weeks. Obtained multimillion dollar verdict on claims arising out of client’s acquisition of an electronic health record (EHR) software company.
- Counsel to a government contractor in a jury trial in the Circuit Court for the County of Fairfax, Virginia, arising out of the buyout of a former business partner. Obtained a defense verdict for client on all claims.
- Counsel for a U.K.-based private security contractor in an Alien Tort Claims Act action filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, arising out of a shooting incident in Kirkuk, Iraq. Argued dispositive motions and obtained dismissal of all claims before trial.
- Obtained a mid-six figure settlement on behalf of a Canadian investment bank against a multinational chemical company after three years of aggressive litigation involving extensive motions practice, tens of depositions, hundreds of thousands of pages of ESI review, and numerous hearings in federal court in the Middle District of Georgia.
- Obtained favorable results for clients, both as plaintiffs and defendants, in the litigation of various business tort matters in state and federal courts nationwide, including claims for theft of trade secrets, fraud, conversion, and negligent misrepresentation.
- Represented a member of the U.S. Intelligence Community in his efforts to preserve his retirement and medical benefits after suffering lead poisoning he contracted in a combat zone in a Middle Eastern Country.
- Represented a group of pro-Democracy Chinese dissidents in their Alien Tort Statute claims against an American technology company for the assistance that company provided to the Chinese Communist Party in creating and implementing the “Golden Shield,” also known as “The Great Firewall of China.”
- Represented an athletic summer camp organization in a ten-week jury trial involving claims of fraud and conversion in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. against a former employee.