Media, Sports, and Entertainment
Ward & Berry PLLC’s attorneys have extensive experience representing clients in the Media, Sports and Entertainment industries.
Our work has ranged from helping clients avoid liability by conducting pre-publication reviews, counseling clients on best practices for dealing with defamation accusations, protecting and enforcing our clients’ free speech, contract and intellectual property rights.
Representative engagements by Ward & Berry PLLC attorneys include:
- Counsel for C4ADS, a nonprofit organization focused on global conflict and security issues, in C4ADS v. KAALBYE et. al., a First Amendment lawsuit arising from C4ADS’s report on the flow of arms to various conflict zones. Ward & Berry filed a Special Motion to Dismiss the defamation claims against its client under the DC Anti-SLAPP Act. After 9 days of hearings, our firm achieved dismissal, with prejudice, of all claims against its client.
- Counsel to multi-national mass media corporation in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania in a case related to client's acquisition of video content syndicator. Obtained favorable settlement of all claims following completion of briefing on summary judgment motion.
- Counsel to international sports & entertainment agency for a jury trial in the Circuit Court for Fairfax County arising out of NFL agent's departure from client agency. Case settled favorably after commencement of trial.
- Provide pre-publication review for non-profit clients that regularly publish high profile reports about matters of public import including, inter alia: arms trafficking, animal poaching, human rights abuses, war crimes financing, and illicit trade with rogue or embargoed nations.
- Counsel to international sports & entertainment agency in contract disputes with various athletes and personalities.
- Performed pre-publication reviews for NGO client of numerous long-form reports on wildlife poaching and smuggling.
- Negotiated licensing agreements for an international specialty apparel manufacturer, including the negotiation of a licensing agreement with a major TV/film studio.
- Counseled numerous clients on best practices for dealing with accusations of defamation, including how to de-escalate such situations and avoid unnecessary litigation.
- Enforcing the intellectual property rights of clients and combating pirating and counterfeiting of their products through the use of various tools, including DMCA takedown notices and direct reports to various internet marketplaces and retailers, direct negotiation with infringers, and litigation.
- Acted as outside general counsel for a regional magazine publisher.
- Advised media conglomerate in aftermath of friendly fire incident in Iraq with employee casualties.